Re: [stella] Meditations on the pause button

Subject: Re: [stella] Meditations on the pause button
From: "Aaron" <stella-receiver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:23:35 +0100 (BST)
Eckhard Stolberg said:
> Also not all 7800s will zero out the undefined bits on the TIA read
> registers. This is just a side effect of a hardware fix that Atari
> build into later models of the 7800. This helped with some problems
> that the games with cartridge RAM had, but broke compatibility with
> Activision's FE bankswitching and the Supercharger. The origial
> 7800's would react just like a 2600 on a TIA read. Also some people
> disabled the extra hardware (only requires removing a certain
> capacitor) to make their 7800 compatible with the Supercharger
> and the Activision games again. So this is not a very reliable
> method of detecting 7800s.

*sigh*  Oh well.

> BTW, if pause is such an important feature, couldn't you use
> some other switch to enable it? Or are they all used for
> something else?

It's not important at all - how often are you going to pause a game that's
typically over in less than three minutes?

I just thought it would be a cool trick.  You know how everyone likes cool
tricks, right?

That said, I probably should have the select button do something in-game...

-Aaron