Re: [stella] Jumpman: Easy Does It

Subject: Re: [stella] Jumpman: Easy Does It
From: Manuel Rotschkar <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2004 00:53:22 +0200
Hi there!

I fear I'll end up programming 20 separate games, one for each level.

You know, it might not work out given the different level of skill we all have but this might be an ideal project for a distributed approach.

Sure, sounds good to me!

Perhaps you can get a level done and then farm out levels which are similar and move on to some of the more challenging levels.

I'm already thinking a lot about the framework for the whole game. With this turning into a 16/32/64K project, one should really be very careful with the design here. I'm thinking about one "master" 4K ROM here handling the game loop and distributing tasks to the other banks.

Stuff like Jumpmans movement for example will be in the "master" bank, but for the display kernel or level logic, it'll branch out.

Once there is a stable idea behind that with one level working, the doors are open for others to join the project I guess...

Right now I'm just evalutating everything. My first task is gathering all structure data for all levels, just to see how much data is in there and also to eliminate a first bunch of undoable levels.

Just finished the structure for "Robots I". The top kernel is again mirrored to save a few bytes. While the bottom kernel is assymetrical, it has still a mirrored CTRLPF state, I'm just timing register rewrites here.

I also started packing all those kernels into macros, so I can quickly reuse all learned techniques and it also will help a lot when it's getting more complex (sprites, missiles), as all code has to be touched only once - per macro...

Perhaps in a larger group we could tackle more of the game. I have to admit that Jumpman style games are my favourite.

Maybe not "more", but definitely "quicker"...

All help is appreciated. If someone is interested, I can try to explain how the data is transfered from screenshot to sourcecode.

My, it'd even help if someone would just play savestates for all levels of the two games... ;-)

Greetings,
	Manuel