Re: [stella] Fall Down RC testing

Subject: Re: [stella] Fall Down RC testing
From: Erik Eid <eeid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 06:47:55 -0400
On Friday 24 September 2004 00:27, Aaron wrote:
> I could probably reduce the air control, but I'm wondering if that would
> actually make the game more fun...  There was the one guy on AA who
> thought the jumps were too "floaty", which is related but a little
> different I think.  And I never came up with a good solution to it...

Actually, I like the mechanics of the falling now.  There's a bit of time to
change direction and get ahead of the computer opponent while it stands on
the next platform, figuring its next move (provided the next platform is
still off-screen).  It's a bit of an equalizer, plus there's just some fun
involved in moving while falling.  :)  I'd probably leave things as they are.

> I did try to make [the computer AI] competitive :)

It certainly is, and I like that very much.  Too often with 2600 games the
computer player isn't all that challenging, (it's sometimes hard *not* to win
5-0-0-0 in Warlords, for instance) or the single player just has to race
against a clock.

Something that you have to actually work to beat is ideal.  If memory serves,
you earned a patch for beating the computer in Activision's Tennis, and maybe
Ice Hockey.

- Erik