Re: [stella] VCS C programming

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS C programming
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 21:45:22 -0400
>After a few successes with doing it "the easy way", they might be more
>interested in trying it "the hard way".

I'm not sure about this.  Remember Murphy's law: make something so easy that
an idiot can use it, and only idiots will use it.

However, I'm not totally against adding some abstraction to VCS programming,
but I don't think that a complete game maker that produces binaries is a
good idea.  Maybe a good compromise (and something infinitely easier to make
as well) would be a suite of tools that generate assembly code snippets that
you would still need to patch together and compile with dasm.  This would
force people to work with real assembly and the actual tools, but make the
task much less daunting for a beginner.  Plus, more macros for tasks that
can be standardized somewhat (reading switches, joysticks, etc) in dasm
might also be a good idea.