Re: [stella] VCS C programming

Subject: Re: [stella] VCS C programming
From: Glenn Saunders <mos6507@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:39:48 -0400
I think what you are talking about here is writing a
programmer-simulator.  Compilers could be seen as
that, but this goes way beyond what a compiler has to
do, as it has to translate abstract goals into
one-of-a-kind optimized software.

This would be similar to a codebreaker program or a
chess program.  There are certain tricks and
techniques that are known (think skipdraw) and the
compiler would have to iteratively try out these
techniques until it finds one where the timing/RAM
usage/ROM usage works.

I don't think it's possible to write something like
this that can solve all potential problems.  But I do
think such an environment would allow for games that
are more complicated than Combat.

It wouldn't be easy, though.