RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available

Subject: RE: [stella] Stella 2.0 Alpha 2 available
From: "Fred Quimby" <c9r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:07:13 -0400
If a single click replicated the effects, maybe my original hack isn't
running the code as often as I thought.  I thought it ran 60 times a second,
but this could be wrong.  In my version, I actually put the code in TIA.cxx
and took over an unused bit in a TIA register to check if we are to fry or
not, which is probably a bad way to do it, but it worked for trying
different ideas to see how they worked.  I also had code in the 6502 core (I
made my own function there) but this ended up being commented out since it
was more likely to crash the system than do anything useful :)

I was working on finding a better place for the code when I mucked up the
code and got busy and had to put it aside.  So it's good that you've got the
code now because it probably makes the most sense being in the debugger
anyway than wherever I might have put it.

To set the frying flag, I hijacked the fire button event on the driving
controller (which also would have needed changing!)  So the frequency at
which the code runs could have been connected to the event handler instead
of the frame rate.  If a single click or a few clicks are enough to
duplicate some documented results, there's no reason to fix it if it ain't
broke...