Re: [stella] stella charter

Subject: Re: [stella] stella charter
From: Doug Dingus <opengeek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 00:18:16 -0400
> > You know what happens when 2600 programming takes
> > place in a vacuum?

It gets stale, just like anything else does. New blood means new ideas.

> But there's "elite", in a positive sense of urging people to a high
> standard, which I think is fair for [stella] to aim for...it's not the
> same as "exclusionary"...it's open to all, it's patient with
> newcomers.
>
> I think for [stella] to maintain its focus on "traditional" assembly
> programming rather than embracing a new still emerging and developing
> high level language is reasonable.

As do I.

So as a newcomer, currently working in a mix of bb and assembler, let me
post a few impressions here for the elders consideration, while at the same
time assuming I have no say really:

1. How do you folks want to receive folks like me?

On the AA forum, one jumps in and it's all good. Here it seems a bit more
difficult to do that. I've read you all long enough to know you are nice
enough folks, but I have to admit I never posted because the standards seem
high. Long ago, I jumped in a few times when the venue was USENET. That was
easy enough, I added my part to the discussion then lurked when my part was
done. When the list formed, I think that went unchanged. Today it's
different somehow, IMHO. I'm not sure just what the expectations are for
this venue and would appreciate some clarification on that score.

2. Long ago, I liked the original vision and stayed tuned because I value
what I see. Looking back from then to today, it's somewhat stale. New things
are happening, which is amazing given the machine, but it's stale all the
same. It's safe to say the art of making a great cart has been well refined.

Honestly, where is the push for the future going to come? Lots of
Superchargers going largely unused. What about 7800 programming? I see tons
of talent here, squeezing every last drop out of the 2600. That's all good
and should continue. I think this speaks to #1. Encouraging a larger crowd
might bring more into the fold, doing more interesting things. --Some of
these things might evolve into new directions, ideas, games, etc...

3. I could care less about the list venue and that line of discussion is
simply a distraction to me. Pick one and commit.

Like I posted earlier, I hopped onto the bb bandwagon because I like the
feel of the classic games. With it, I can actually get one done. With a mix
of bb and assembler, I can likely get a really good one done. Which leads me
to....

4. Is this list about games on the 2600, or about the art of programming in
the tightest environment? I love the latter, because the knowledge enables
some great game experiences and because it's all about working with the
hardware. Honestly, I see the continued focus on the minimal environment
getting in the way of some great games using supercharger, ram carts, 7800,
etc.... Eventually, that's the way I want to go because the games possible
there will represent the very best Atari experience for me.

Again, observations and thoughts from just one newcomer interested in
classic gaming on hardware I love. Take it, leave it, hate it, love it, but
let me know what this venue is about so I can contribute accordingly when it
makes best sense to do so.