RE: Matching Attributes with @

Subject: RE: Matching Attributes with @
From: John Robert Gardner <jrgardn@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 12:39:55 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 26 May 2000, Paulo Gaspar wrote:

> Think of an XML document as a tree of nodes. There is nothing else than
> that.
>
> Each element node can have 2 basic types of descendent nodes:
>  - Content;
>  - Attributes.
> Content can contain other element nodes but attributes never have
> descendents.

I remember a comment some time ago on this . . . that attributes are
descendents . . . wouldn't they be children? -- of their containing
element node, or context element node.  So the element can have attribute
children.  But, that an attribute cannot reference its own element context
node as a "parent."  This would be consistent with the post elsewhere
today on this matching @ thread, that matching an @ does not match the
element node that contains it.  To do so one would have to do "*[@foo]",
correct?  So @ are children, but those children do not have parents?

thanks,

jr

John Robert Gardner, Ph.D.
XML Engineer
Emory University
http://vedavid.org/diss/
"There is a difference between knowing The Path, and walking the Path."
					-Lawrence Fishburn/Morpheus