Re: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF?

Subject: Re: Future of DSSSL: What about PDF?
From: "Joerg F. Wittenberger" <Joerg.Wittenberger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 12:42:16 +0100

SR> of DSSSL. If you write a Lout backend to Jade, you meet all the
SR> same problems as the TeX backend has. The fact that Lout probably
SR> *is* simpler than TeX is very likely to be unimportant.

I can agree with that.  I wrote an sgml->tex/lout/info/roff converter
when dsssl was a draft (it was supposed to be turned into a dsssl
engine but never was).  The lout is actually not much easier to create
than tex is.  The hard point is that the lout formating model is much
simpler than dsssl's but does not match in some more artificial topics.

SR> I to agree that a neutral page formatter embedded in Jade would be
SR> fun, and very useful. But a distinctly non-trivial task.

That would be the real interesting thing.  What's needed is a clean,
language independant interface from the FO model to the backend.

/Jerry