Re: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] LINQ to XML versus XSLT
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:39:24 +0100
2008/6/27 Scott Trenda <Scott.Trenda@xxxxxxxx>:
> I mean a language, to be used on the server side on web servers, that
> can talk to the database, the file system, and other protocols, and
> dynamically assemble an HTML or XML view of a requested page to be
> delivered to the client.

That sounds like the "server side standalone transforms" idea I was
banging on about a few weeks ago...

Basically the user navigates to say /helloworld.xslt, the serverside
processor executes the XSLT 2.0 by using the predefined initial
template "main", the stylesheet pulls in any needed input files itself
using doc() and unparsed-text() (or perhaps in the future works
natively with the xml db) and then constructs the resultant XHTML.

All very straightforward, all it needs is a standard name for the
initial template, an app-server vendor to add support for it (no
effort) and a suitable buzzword for the "framework".

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com