Re: [stella] Trick12

Subject: Re: [stella] Trick12
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:47:06 +0100
> Can I torture you by not revealing how I did mine?  :)  Although you can
> probably figure it out by looking at the binary, or in an emulator
> debugger.  I looked at Thomas's binary, and he's certainly not doing what
> I am.

You are not torturing me, as I KNOW how you did it. ;-) Since
it seems to be confession time now, I think I can tell you that
I've been playing around with the same code idea as you. But
since I couldn't come up with a good way for displaying the missiles,
I planned to use lightgun support for my game.

I ran into the same problems as you. The gap before the second to
last invader is one pixel smaller than the others. And since
it is important when you rehit RESPx, you can't just replace them
with stores to a RAM address, since that could destroy the trick
and therefore the display.

We hadn't figured out many of the details of this trick when
I was experimenting with the invaders game, so I couldn't
come up with a nice way of removing individal sprites and I left
it at that. But here is my marching invaders demo anyway for
everyone to have a good laugh. ;-) It was designed on my PAL
system, so you might need to force your emulator into PAL
colour mode for the invaders to be green.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg