[stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)

Subject: [stella] Star Fire: 1 step forward 2 steps back :-)
From: Manuel Polik <cybergoth@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 18:01:53 +0100
Hi there!

Yet another Star Fire update. But this one is rather
special I think. I ripped the kernel into pieces and
then rebuilt it, allowing something really cool!

At least I think it's cool :-)

It's all possible now by using the Battlezone trick.
Believe it or not, but I managed to clear enough cycles
in the kernel for adding this:

; Reset stack to RESBL
    TXA
    LDX #$1F
    TXS
    TAX

; Draw starfield
    LDY vline
    CPY yposBackup+2
    PHP
    CPY yposBackup+1
    PHP
    CPY yposBackup
    PHP

:-)

On the other hand, I decided to can the Meteors scene. I
never managed to turn it into something fun to play and
it never really fitted the engine, causing too much
internal trouble, and severe flicker.

Yet the meteors aren't totally gone, but see for
yourself.

I'm concentrating on finishing the game now, but I fear
I can't keep the X-Mas dealine, I'm sorry.

Greetings,
	Manuel