Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!

Subject: Re: [stella] Have kernel, need game!
From: "Fabrizio Zavagli" <rasty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 17:10:07 +0200
Hi Thomas!

you wrote:
> Then I "somehow" had to combine the two segments. This was a problem,
> because simple ORing or ANDing didn't work. It took a while until
> it finally "clicked". This is the basic kernel code:
>
>   lda (seg0),y
>   and (seg1),y
>   eor eorVal   ; !!!
>   sta PFx
>
> So the whole trick is EORing the result when necessary! :-)
>
> I am quite happy with this solution, but before I continue working on
> it, I would like to ask for comments. Maybe anybody knows an even better
> (faster, compact) solution.

I also got to use exclusive or in a similar occasion for an application I
wrote some time ago (a Palm 3d engine where I had to overlap precalculated
segments for the polygons' edges), and such solution was actally suggested
to me by a friend who has a lot more experience than I do on such stuff.. So
I guess thar EORing is pretty standard in this case, and you can feel
confidet it's a strong solution! :)
(now that I've said that, I'm sure several hundred better solutions will pop
up shortly.. ;)

> Finally I will need some game IDEAs. Here are mine:
> - a paddle game, with a really fast scrolling cave, where you have to
>   avoid crashing into the walls and occasionally or evade shoot some
>   enemy objects
> - a game like this helicopter Jave applet where you only have to press a
>   button to control the height

The helicopter/cave game came to my mind just as soon as I tried the binary!
The paddle gama idea also looks good to me, so you may even think of a game
that implements both ideas, maybe on alternate levels.. But if you want to
keep the game simple and choose only one game style, the latter I prefer!

Looking forward to see what comes out of it..!

Regards,
Fabrizio.-