Re: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes

Subject: Re: [stella] Reflex: Paddle woes
From: "Eckhard Stolberg" <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 22:14:02 +0200
> Again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, what's the
> estimate for how long it takes, in machine cycles or scanlines?

You can start polling the paddles right after you have stopped
discharging the capacitors. Mondo Pong and the second load of
Party Mix do this. Then it takes about a 180 degree turn on the
paddle to deleay the bit-flipping by 256 scanlines. Since a
paddle has a range of about 300 degree, I suppose you can count
for about 400 scanlines before the paddle-bit would be guaranteed
to have flipped.

> I guess this weekend I can try whipping up some sample code. Maybe I
> should tell Al to put some of my royalties towards a stelladaptor or
> two...(I think I've budgeted spending my royalties like 2 or 3 times
> over...it's "paid" for my hotel in Philly, part of my iPod, some gaming
> gear at Philly, etc etc ;-)

While the Stelladaptor is a very nice device that I highly
recommend for anyone playing 2600 on an emulator, it does
work a little differently than a real VCS. Also it's data
gets interpreted by an emulator. So for this particular
problem of finding out what the limits are for reading a
paddle, it's not going to be acurate enough to give a
definitive answer.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg