Re: [stella] Missing messages

Subject: Re: [stella] Missing messages
From: Albert Yarusso <albert@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 19:59:08 -0500
Hello,

On Sep 8, 2004, at 7:30 PM, Russ Perry Jr wrote:
Again, consider the distinction -- the posts are not "missing",
they simply have not been added to the archive.  The plan has always
been to add them, it's just taking a long time.  I agree that this
is frustrating, but I don't think it's worth leaving Biglist over.

I was just stating that they are missing from the archive right now, and I asked if there were plans to add them, that's all. I never stated in my message that I thought that alone was worth leaving Biglist over.

How could it BE a Biglist problem if others have seen it?  Perhaps
someone else between your mail servers and Biglist's servers ate it,
but it simply can't be Biglist if others got it.  Unless you're
suggesting that there was a hiccup there in sending it, and only
part of the list got it?  I think that unlikely, but admit it's a
possibility.  But with an average of, what, five or so servers in
between, it's more likely it went into the ether in between.

The possibility certainly exists that there was a hiccup in Biglist and only part of the list got it. While the TCP/IP packets certainly get routed through many servers, the Biglist mail server should be connecting directly to the recipient's SMTP server, and if a message is not able to be sent, it should be re-queued for transmission again later. When several people do not receive a message, that suggests to me that it is a problem on Biglist's end.

Just curious, what benefits do paid customers get, and how much does
it cost?

I've never asked, since it's never really been a big issue.

It doesn't hurt to know, I'm just curious if there are additional features that might be available, maybe faster response time when problems occur for paying customers, and so forth. And of course I'm quite curious what they charge.

 ..Al
Albert Yarusso, http://www.AtariAge.com
Atari News, Forums, Media, Guides, and more!