Re: Paragraph breaks

Subject: Re: Paragraph breaks
From: christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Frank Christoph)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 17:40:02 +0900
>  > There's no way for the DSSSL code to know that both references
>  > occur on the same page.
> thats when you start to realize that the DSSSL concept of separating
> specification from the formatter has its limitations :-}

I would say that the notion of "page numbers" itself is the limitation, part
of the legacy of an age when the only way to reference parts of a document was
by numbering pages.  A common trend in computer science is for the ordering
on a set to be generalized from a linear order to a preorder to a partial
order and then a graph, and I think something similar is happening here with
the concept of a document, indeed _has been_ happening ever since the invention
of hypertext.  (Of course, even before then people were hierarchicalizing their
books by dividing them into independently readable parts, etc., despite the
existence of page numbers.)

-- FC