Re: System variables

Subject: Re: System variables
From: "Mitch C. Amiano" <amiamc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 14:13:52 -0400
I don't mean to be rude, but get a good book on writing DOS batch files.
I can never remember myself what a particular batch file syntax is under
DOS.

I've used catalogs to define the values of general entities for such things,
so the entity could be inserted in place, and it would be re-evaluated on
every run. The definition in the catalog gets modified when I want to change
the actual entity.

Another (complementary) approach is to recognize that a URL can generate
different results every time it is evaluated.  It is a bit heavy handed
in this case, but you can get a date (though perhaps not the DOS date)
through a URL to a CGI script.

owner-dssslist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2000 Markus.Reinsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > I just have some silly workarounds. I even dont know OpenJade.
> This makes me curious. I knew you only from your (IMO excellent)
> DSSSL tutorial and thought that you were an ol' Jade user.
>
> > 1. Have you tried:
> > set  VAR=test (Dont use spaces before and after =!)
> The problem is that test is not a string but a command. And maybe that DOS
> is DOS...
>  .../...
>
> > 2. Generate a dsssl script before calling jade. Line 2 is generated. All other lines are static.
> >
> > 1: <!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN" [
> > 2: <!entity outputdir "c:\\import\\pre2\\a">
> > 3: ]>

> > 10: (string-append
> > 11:           "&outputdir;"
> > 12:                   "blabla")
> >
> I like this one. I will try it if I have similar problems for
> which DSSSL does not have the good set of functions.
>
> > 3. What about bash for windows? (cygwin)
> It would be the key to happiness (almost), but my customer does not want
> it.
>
> Thanks. Jany.

Mitch C. Amiano                               Mitch.C.Amiano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SDE, ET&PE, Eng. Services, Raleigh Design Center, Alcatel USA

Could a rubber ball bounce off a frictionless surface?