Re: Functions returning length-spec

Subject: Re: Functions returning length-spec
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 11:59:49 -0600
Quoting roconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx <roconnor@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I can't find an example of a function that returns a length-spec.  Is
> there some way of finding out how wide (literal "&#8226;  ") is?  This
> will allow me to reverse-indent my bulleted items by the right
> amount.  (Or maybe there's a better way to handle bulleted lists.)

   I'd have to do a little studying to give you a firm answer on any
of this, but I'll take my best shot off the top of my head.  I'm
fairly sure it isn't possible to get the length of a text string to
feed as a length into some other setting.  However, there are usually
ways around needing to know such a length.
   I'm not quite sure what your desired result is, so I'll cover the
two most likely possibilities.  I figure you want your bulleted items
to look like one of these two:
	o XXXXXXXXXXXXX         o XXXXXXXXXXXXX
	XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX   or      XXXXXXXXXXXXX
	XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX           XXXXXXXXXXXXX

   In the first case, you can just set the paragraph indent to 0 and
enclose the "bullet" in a line-field flow object, the size of which
you can set to create the initial indent.  In the second case, I
believe you can set the paragraph indent to whatever, create the
line-field the same size, and set the first line indent of the
paragraph to 0 (or negative the amount of the overall indent... don't
remember how that works).
   Hope this helps...

-Brandon :)