(dsssl) [help wanted] OpenJade

Subject: (dsssl) [help wanted] OpenJade
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 20 Feb 2001 02:22:07 -0500
As you may have noticed, releases from the OpenJade group has dropped
off quite a bit. I'm trying to address that, but the fact is we lost
our leader (Matthias Clasen) and no one has stepped up to replace him.

I simply have no time to really take on that role -- 60+ hours a week
at work, plus 20+ hours a week for Debian installation system and
such.  Not to mention -- I don't know really any C++ at all.

So we're pretty desparately in need of an injection of volunteers.
Hackers, documenters, web site maintainers, etc.  Even interested
bystanders.  It's at sourceforge, so ppl can get accounts and I can
give them openjade perms as needed).

So -- C++ and DSSSL hackers and documenters!  Let them say XSL is the
future -- maybe they are right and maybe not.  Who knows.  Who cares?
We have single sourced documentation with XML and SGML today, with
high-quality printing, and a stable spec, *today*!  Can the XSL-FO
toolchain say that?   I don't think so.

[ASIDE: I really don't wanna get into a war but my assessment is that
XSL is still 1.5 years + away from matching the OpenJade capabilities.
Moreover, I have my reservations about where XML/XSL is going, not to
mention that the XML folks at the W3C are moving farther away from the
SGML parse system.  We can already see they try to recapture
programming symantics with their schema systems, and that seems to be
breaking apart (TREX, Relax, XML Schema).  Is it just me or is it all
trying to recapture (badly) computer science features that lisp (and
others) had 50 years ago?]

All politics, crystal gazing, and flame baiting aside, I'm sure there
are people out there with a little bit of time (5 hrs/week?) and want
to help with the non-cathedral, open source DSSSL effort?

Please respond to this list or Jade Devel <jade-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>