Re: (dsssl) scale-attribute - how is it handled correctly?

Subject: Re: (dsssl) scale-attribute - how is it handled correctly?
From: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:38:01 -0500
IMHO, I'd say double it. The printed page (and the PDF page modelled after a printed page) is only 8 inches across...if your graphics are the same DPI as on a 17" monitor, they'll be mighty big--and many will jump right off the page. (When using screenshot PNGs destined for print I always save my images with DPI set to 150.)

Perhaps a configurable option is the better way...

Christof Drescher wrote:

Hi!

For the pdf formatter I've developed, I ran into the problem how the DSSSL
"scale" attribute (for external-graphics) should be treated properly for
gif+jpeg images. It is quite reasonable for PDF files I put in, since they
have a given width+height.

If I parse a GIF or JPEG in Java, I only get the width+height in pixels.
Since I want to get a result comparable with the other backends - how should
a gif image (which - as far as I know - does not have a dpi value saved with
it) be treated? As if it was 72dpi (screen res)?

Can anyone help?
Greetings,
C. Drescher

(fot2pdf-formatter availabe at www.pdftech.com)