RE: (dsssl) SGML to XML

Subject: RE: (dsssl) SGML to XML
From: Didier PH Martin <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:27:18 -0500
Hi Narinder

You said:
I am new to DSSSL. I wish to get SGML of some DTD to my XML. Currently I am
using James utility
sx.exe to get an equivalent XML and doing XSL transformation to my XML. Is
there some way in DSSSL
to get directly my xml. Jade can do it but I could not figure out as I dont
know the DSSSL syntax.
Any help will be appreciated

Didier replies:
Yes you can do that, as Jany said, with the XML backend. Also, Miroslav also
gave you a good hint of what kind of OpenJade extensions to be used for that
purpose.

I will add though that the transformations you need to do have to be simple.
In other words, that the matching rule you can use is restricted to elements
matching and this latter is not available with the current OpenJade version.
This query construction rule (i.e. matching rule) allows more sophisticated
matching rules like, for instance, matching to an attribute or an other
special condition as you would do with XSLT. This is because, Openjade has
no implementations of the query construction rule. To know more about the
DSSSL construction rules read:
http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/DSSSL-markup-Rules.htm.

To get more resources about DSSSL and OpenJade (I updated that site last
week) you can go to: http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL

In conclusion, if the matching process could be restricted to elements only,
then you may remove an unnecessary step and use OpenJade to directly
transform your SGML document into (I guess) an XML based rendering language.
Otherwise, unfortunately, you'll still need XSLT in the process.

Cheers
Didier PH Martin
http://www.didier-martin.com