Re: [jats-list] BITS: Is there a canonical way to group multiple appendices and a glossary under a single 'Appendix' heading?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] BITS: Is there a canonical way to group multiple appendices and a glossary under a single 'Appendix' heading?
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 12:23:39 -0400
Hi,

Yes, and with maddeningly complete freedom comes maddeningly complete
responsibility. :-)

This is the point where I'd start asking about the larger strategy
regarding conformance, customization and local use.

In some circumstances I might prefer to subset my profile of the DTD
quite severely, deprecating 'app' with a few other similarly
problematic structural elements. I might allow them in JATS outputs
generated for purposes of interchange, but to keep my models and
processing simple and consistent (and to avoid twists like this one),
I might stick with 'sec' internally (with appropriate @sec-type to
constrain, validate and drive processing). Of course, this is a kind
of customization, albeit not at the level of the DTD itself.

In others, I might agree with Nikos and superset, not subset, the DTD,
allowing glossary in more places. Especially if I had reason to think
this wouldn't force me to go the other way again to interchange with
others expecting strict conformance. :-)

I think this sort of stress between the formal models and the
requirements of the real world is inevitable, especially when we get
to books. Falling back on generic elements makes a good solution in
many (not all) cases, but where the standard can adapt to particulars
without twisting itself into knots, that's usually even better.

Cheers, Wendell
XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables