Re: [jats-list] pub-id-type

Subject: Re: [jats-list] pub-id-type
From: "Mark Donoghue m.donoghue@xxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 16:14:29 -0000
So, if you're using JATS 1.2 Publishing (Blue) then my initial
recommendation stands. That solution leverages the semantics of the element
(article-id) while allowing differentiation via the pub-id-type and
assigning-authority attributes.

If you are restricted to JATS 1.1 Publishing (Blue) then, despite what the
documentation says (!!!), you have to either abuse the specific-use
attribute (totally warranted in this case) or choose a different element to
represent that information. Because your stated use is machine processing,
standardizing on another element might be a good choice.

The scandalous yet understandable usage could be:
<article-id pub-id-type="art-access-id"
specific-use="bioarxiv-id-linking">576355</article-id>

I don't think that's a good solution but, it's expedient and
straightforward to code for. With any luck you'll have moved on to your
next job before it came around to bite you.

Another element that also appears in article-meta is related-object. You
can use that element to store all sorts of related entities. For example:

<related-object object-type="preprint" object-id="576355"
object-id-type="bioarxiv-id" specific-use="external-linking"/>

related-object takes a long list of attributes you can employ to specify
the semantics of the usage. The related-object content model is defined in
the file JATS-related-object1.ent. All of the attributes defined
specifically for that tag (vs. the imported ones) are CDATA, not a fixed
list.

You'll no doubt have endless hours of fun working out the particulars :-)

I think the related-object solution is more durable if using JATS 1.1 Blue.

I'm out of ideas.

-Mark

Mark Donoghue
IEEE
(732) 562-6045
m.donoghue@xxxxxxxx

IEEE - Advancing Technology for Humanity