Re: [EXT] Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 06:59:56 -0000
On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 17:26 +0000, Debbie Lapeyre
dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
>
> B  2) Some authors (admittedly I have this 3rd hand, so it could just
> be
> B B B B  an urban legend) are not willing to answer the gender question
> for
> B B B B  their publishers.B

One reason might be that the questions don't always offer the answer
the person wants. I still get asked if i'm male or female for example,
and am not offered non-binary or gender-fluid.

Another can be that people  are in transition and not out to everyone.

> B  4) Perhaps the XML document instance is not the best place to
> record
> B B B B  all you know about an author. Perhaps a production database?

But the JATS article is often all that's shared.

Grammatical pronouns seem useful, although yes hard to process
automatically and not always translatable. How do you transate Ni as a
pronoun, or Xe, to another language? But maybe they are still useful to
procide. The hardest thing about them may just be that, for the people
who care most about the pronouns, they change over time. So for sure
they should be optional fields.

Liam

--
Liam Quin,B https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/