Re: [EXT] Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "O'Brien, Daniel S. dobrien@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 23:27:51 -0000
Agreed with Pieter that a primary need is for expressing both grammatical and
self-identified gender pronouns.

I expect some publishers, including ACS, would embrace having options within
JATS like these to identify a contributor's pronouns within the article
metadata, with a further option to designate whether the pronouns should be
displayed next to the person's name within the article output.  This would let
publishers better serve the needs of some communities of authors who may find
this valuable.

Regarding whether to optimize the tagging model towards systematic or
automated processing versus a display oriented approach, this seems to be an
evolving topic that is very personal for some.  Forcing a selection of pronoun
options within a predefined scheme b even with the positive intent to
support automation b could be seen as especially counterproductive for those
to whom this issue deeply matters; these folks often are already trying to
break through other predefined gender expectations elsewhere.  For this
reason, I wonder if a display-oriented approach, perhaps just a pronoun
string, could be beneficial for now.  Perhaps localization couple be handled
as normally (@lang) if not defined as an attribute?

Regards,
Dan
Dan ObBrien
Assistant Director, Publication Technology
2540 Olentangy River Rd. | Columbus | OH 43202
T 614-447-3610 | Pronouns:<https://www.mypronouns.org/> he/him
pubs.acs.org<http://pubs.acs.org/>
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
ACS Chemistry for Life