Re: [EXT] Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors

Subject: Re: [EXT] Re: [jats-list] Preferred pronouns for authors
From: "Mark Donoghue m.donoghue@xxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2020 21:17:31 -0000
Very wise advice Debbie.

Speaking strictly from a grammatical/technical point-of-view, pronouns are
complicated :-)

Until a proper analysis can be done, the advice I would give to my
organization is to avoid semantically overloading elements not designed to
hold the information. Come to think of it, that's my advice in every
situation :-)

I find the TEI solution woefully under-engineered. Clever in places, but
insufficient. For example, the string "they/them/their" is not machine
readable in any useful sense. It's not deterministic. You cannot write code
that reliably makes use of that information except to just display the
entire string.

If the intention for including pronouns is for display, I would use a
name-alternative tag with a string-name child element, like so:

<name-alternatives>
  <string-name specific-use="display" xml:lang="en">Robert Dobbs
(they/them)</string-name>
<name-alternatives>

Any other reason for encoding pronoun information, such as conveying the
lived experience of the author (as noted in the TEI example), will require
specific support from the standard -- otherwise it won't be meaningful from
either a cultural or technological perspective.

-Mark

Mark Donoghue
IEEE
(732) 562-6045
m.donoghue@xxxxxxxx

IEEE - Advancing Technology for Humanity