Re: [jats-list] Using JATS DTDs with Oxygen XML Editor

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Using JATS DTDs with Oxygen XML Editor
From: "B Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2021 22:04:51 -0000
Hi Michael --

An observation in response to your note. It is safer to create customizations
of the JATS models by using the over-ride mechanism instead of editing any of
the JATS files. And, after you figure out how it works, faster than editing
the JATS files.

Please read about how to do this at:
    https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/chapter/implementor.h
tml
and specifically the section at:
    https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/publishing/tag-library/1.2/chapter/imple-howtodt
ds.html

By using your own over-ride files you reduce the chances of your work being
stepped on accidentally and make moving your customization to new versions of
JATS much easier.

Also, as you are customizing JATS, you might find some of the information in
the JATS Compatibility Model useful. See:
   https://groups.niso.org/apps/group_public/download.php/16764/JATS-Compatib
ility-Model-v0-7.pdf

-- Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, Julie,
>
> Thanks for the forum linkbI was actually hoping that merging all the files
for the blue and green DTDS into a single folder (teal?) would work, but then
I realized that our slightly customized version of the blue DTD was made with
changes to some of the files they have in common. Nevertheless, thatbs an
idea I need to file away if I never need to convert between unmodified
versions of both DTDs.

> --
> Michael R. Boudreau
> Electronic Publishing Technology Manager
> The University of Chicago Press
> 1427 E. 60th Street
> Chicago, IL 60637
> www.journals.uchicago.edu
>

> From: "Julie Blair julie.blair@xxxxxxxxxxx"
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 11:22 AM
> To: "jats-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [jats-list] Using JATS DTDs with Oxygen XML Editor
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I had this issue, albeit several years and versions ago but merging the 2
DTDs into 1 worked. Check this thread for further info:
> https://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/topic13010.html
>
> Best,
> Julie Blair
> SAGE Publications
>

>> Is anyone using Oxygen XML Editor to work with instances of the various
JATS DTDs (e.g., blue and green)?
> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

B. Tommie Usdin
mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
https://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street
Phone: 301/315-9631
Suite 207
Direct Line: 301/315-9634
Rockville, MD  20850
Fax: 301/315-8285
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML for Prose Documents