Re: [jats-list] Why is archiving JATS with a DOI not common?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Why is archiving JATS with a DOI not common?
From: "David Haber dhaber@xxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 11:27:04 -0000
Hi Castedo,

After reading your question a few times more, are you asking why the specific
XML component or format of a given article does not have its own unique DOI?

So, perhaps a publisher HTML version would have a DOI, maybe the PDF would
have a DOI, perhaps an ePub would have a DOI, and maybe the XML? And all these
dois would be unique?

If that is your question, then the reason is that the article is the unit of
measure in scholarly publishing, and those other versions are just that,
versions or different formats. The content is not unique to the format so
therefore would not get a separate doi. It is true that different formats may
display a piece of an article differently (or maybe not at all) but that does
not make the format unique because the DOI represents the entire published
object and all its formats because that is the unique piece we as publishers
are shepherding to the world.

It is true bits and pieces and even formats of an article could be assigned a
component DOI, but sort of relationship (between component piece and main
published object) is not standard across the industry and may cause confusion
and citation mayhem  if not standardized and controlled very carefully.

If I completely misinterpreted the question, apologies.

David