Re: About xsl:scripts

Subject: Re: About xsl:scripts
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:55:02 -0400
Simon St. Laurent wrote:

>At 10:58 AM 4/14/99 +0100, Guy Murphy wrote:
>>Hi.
>>
>>I've maintained from the start that XSL is a direct competitor for ASP.
The
>>reason why I assert this is because of the speed with which I was willing
>>to bail out from heavy usage of ASP to using XSL, leaving ASP just as the
>>glue.
>
>Maybe, though I think they'd have to give XSL access to all the ASP objects
>(for form interaction and all that) to make XSL do all the work ASP can do.
> Maybe that's a direction they're headed, in which case we'll definitely
>have MS-XSL to contend with, but I suspect they'll be leaving ASP as the
>framework and XSL as part of the toolkit.
>
>(That's how I'm presenting it in an upcoming ASP book, anyway, but MS has
>been known to change directions on a regular basis.)

    Since the ASP objects ("Request","Response") are hooked into MTS and the
ObjectContext, <em>if</em> arbitrary COM components could be instanciated
via var x = new ActiveXObject("") in JavaScript or CreateObject("") in
VBScript etc, then it would be very easy to create a component which wrapped
the ObjectContext (i.e. via a GetObjectContext call) and passed out the ASP
objects as properties e.g.:

    var Context = new ActiveXObject("Example.OCWrapper");
    var Request = Context.Request;
    var Response = Context.Response;

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net