Re: apache,perl,xml,xsl

Subject: Re: apache,perl,xml,xsl
From: "Matthew MacKenzie" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:12:49 -0300
----- Original Message -----
From: Betty L. Harvey <harvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I use Apache.  I have Perl scripts that create XML documents.
> Before XSL and CSS were viable, I used Perl to create SGML
> files and Panorama and/or Citec MultiDoc to view and link
> between documents using HyTime links that were created
> from the Perl scripts.
>
> I haven't found any problems with Apache as a Web server
> and SGML/XML applications.

Me neither.  I am very glad that I am not alone here using UNIX ;)

> I just wish IE 5.0 behaved as well as traditional SGML
> browsers.  I haven't done an extensive amount of testing
> with IE 5.0 but what I have done I have found many
> problems that I am not happy with.

So far, I have only worked with displaying things in IE5.  I am in a wicked
learning curve right now; thankfully people on this list have been kind
enough to answer my juvenile XSL questions.

> If you want to see Apache and Perl working, I have a sample
> available at http://www.eccnet.com/xmledi.  The first is
> a simple bookorder form that creates an XML document.  The
> original version used an XSL stylesheet (first draft).
> Now I just attached a CSS stylesheet to it until I get
> some free time to create a new XSL style sheet for it.

I will take a look.  I am just wrapping up an application in perl that uses
Perl,CSS,XSL,and of course, XML.  It takes a Lecart shopping cart database
and creates XML which is peppered with information on how to display the
page, for XSL to transform..(it is multiuser, so some 'storefronts' will
need to have a diffrent stylesheet, logo, etc.)  It is pretty interesting,
and can be accessed at
http://www.cartnetwork.com/cgi-bin/xml/prod2xml-b1.pl?DB=newco for now, the
script is still under development..I plan on removing the query string and
using PATH_INFO to make the url prettier.  I really love this XSL
stuff...thank you thank you thank you to whoever thought it up ;)

> There is also an XMLized version of the XML/EDI Guidelines
> document that is displayed using CSS.

Neat!  Thanks for the link.

Matthew MacKenzie
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx