Accessible FOs (was: Re: Transformation + FOs makes abuse easy)

Subject: Accessible FOs (was: Re: Transformation + FOs makes abuse easy)
From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 09:55:47 -0400
At 12:32 AM 4/29/1999 -0500, Paul Prescod wrote:
>It occurs to me that the minimum list of document objects has already be
>described in the ICADD standard:
>
>http://www.cm.spyglass.com/doc/icadd/
>
>"The International Committee for Accessible Document Design ("ICADD") has
>published guidelines for designing SGML applications which enable the
>preparation of texts for near-automatic conversion to Grade 2 Braille and
>for publication both in large print and computer voice editions."

Wow, great resource. Thanks for passing it on.

I'm a little schizoid on the accessibility issue. The small-d democrat in
me says there's no question as to its value; the lazy
least-commmon-denominator webmaster says it's still too hard. All of which
is compounded by the fact that I'm sufficiently hearing-impaired that I
*hate* Web sites requiring audio without providing text transcripts
(equivalent of closed-captioning).

So I want to celebrate the addition of sight-impaired folks to the Web
community (once it becomes widespread, I mean) using aural and Braille
style properties. But I also hope that the XSL/CSS WGs will provide
guidelines (perhaps even syntactic mechanisms?) for accessibility to
*non*-visual media by those whose preference (or need) is for the visual.