Re: Part A - Generic parse.allXML function

Subject: Re: Part A - Generic parse.allXML function
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 18:36:53 +0100 (BST)
> We have found <xsl:script> a highly useful tag for reducing server
> overhead on more complex applications of XML/XSL.

looked like a dangerous hole waiting to trap people to me:-)

At the time that xsl:script was being suggested, XSL did not have the
numeric and string expressions in the current draft (so could not do
anything very interesting without resorting to such callouts to another
language)

>  we are trying to ascertain whether or not <xsl:functions> can perform
> the same tasks.

It would be interesting to know how far you can port old xsl:script
uses to `pure' xsl expression language without resorting to external
extensions with xsl:functions.

After all if it turns out that there is some particular functionality
missing that everyone is having to add via the extension mechanism
it may make sense to get that function added to the core in XSL version
n+1.

David