side effects and XSL was: RE: Part A - Generic parse.allXML function

Subject: side effects and XSL was: RE: Part A - Generic parse.allXML function
From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 13:58:57 -0400
Duane Nickull

> With <xsl:script> being an MS proprietary tag not in the draft, we are
> trying to ascertain whether or not <xsl:functions> can perform the same
> tasks.  At the onset, it appears that the two are equal however, MSXSL
> only supports <xsl:script> to my knowledge.

	The two tags are similar but not equal. I believe that <xsl:script> as
implemented by IE5 allows global variables to be defined and manipulated
from within script blocks and the <xsl:eval> tag.

	xsl:functions appear to allow definition of functions via script languages
but not global variables per se, though implementation specifics need to be
seen (i.e. if you allow var x = new ActiveXObject(progid) you can override
any intended action).

	the other issue regarding side effects and XSL related to the doc()
function. It is possible to create side effects via URI's and HTTP e.g.

	doc("http://xxx/GetX.asp?var=val";) and doc("http://xxx/SetX.asp?var=val";);

	or

	doc("javascript:var x = 'global';");

	where the action of binding a URI generates side effects. Unless such
behavior is specified, implementors will need to make arbitrary decisions.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net