RE: [xsl] What is the future of XSL-FO

Subject: RE: [xsl] What is the future of XSL-FO
From: David.Pawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:28:57 -0000

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Célio Cidral Junior

    Below is an excerpt of an explanation for XSLT, took out from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/e
    n-us/xmlsdk/htm/xslt_starter_54dw.asp:

    "XSL is now generally referred to as XSL Formatting Objects
    (XSL-FO), to distinguish it from XSLT. The future of XSL-FO
    as a standard is uncertain, because much of its
    functionality overlaps with that provided by cascading
    style sheets (CSS) and the HTML tag set. If cross-vendor
    compatibility is important, you might want to avoid XSL-FO
    until it becomes a standard fully accepted by the Worldwide
    Web Consortium."

    Can I consider valid the declaration above?

I'd certainly hope not.
  The quote isn't dated, and its facts are questionnable.

The overlap with CSS is fact, trouble is, no one has implemented
that overlap in CSS.

Cross vendor compatibility is an issue, especially with so few
implementations
and a complex spec, but it is being resolved.

The WG are currently looking at updating the rec, so I guess they don't
think its dead.

Perhaps they are just saying M$ haven't implemented it, so its
questionnable?

go ahead and try it, its fun.

regards DaveP

 ** snip here **