Re: [xsl] Unable to get Firefox to apply XSL

Subject: Re: [xsl] Unable to get Firefox to apply XSL
From: "Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 18:01:23 -0000
Hi Michele,

Heh, well that is good to know but also too bad. But if they really are
neophytes, isn't this really the same magic as if they had learned to code
an HTML page with some CSS? In other words, I think maybe all this time
you've been able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, on the cheap -- everyone
has that hat (with that rabbit in it).

You have a hard problem but not an impossible one. I think the solution
really depends on your students and their level of sophistication. If they
really are rank beginners, they probably need to see more of the stack from
a broader perspective, before they can fully appreciate the power we get
from the layered architecture. In other words - we have pages, and we have
structured data. Whatever you take "pages" to be, they are not the same
thing. But related. Especially when we have machine assistance to help
mediate.

After all, they need to understand that at some level as well (don't they),
and the real message should be (shouldn't it) that it isn't really magic?

Practically speaking, I think you have two ways to do this - one, provide
and maintain an online resource of some kind that they could use in some
fashion, but with their own data. Or two, deploy something entirely
self-contained, which they can run on their systems. I think the latter
might be a bigger lift, but both approaches have their pros and cons.
Ideally you would have something of both.

Cheers, Wendell

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 1:24 PM Michele R Combs mrrothen@xxxxxxx <