Re: [xsl] Initial whitespace in PI from XSLT, main body

Subject: Re: [xsl] Initial whitespace in PI from XSLT, main body
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2022 15:32:19 -0000
Hi Wendell,

Sorry, I totally missed the "house-rule" phrase, as it seemed buried
further down the text of your message.

Yes, within a company / organisation, they could adopt whatever house rules
they choose. As far as these remain closed intin the organisation.

Thanks,
Dimitre

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 7:57 AM Wendell Piez wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <

> Hey Dimitre,
>
> A bit confused - were you (not) taking me to suggest I thought the rules
> should be changed, or that I was proposing Syd adapt to the rules -- and
> the (faulty) implementations -- as they currently are?
>
> My "house style" suggestion is along the lines of adapting to both the
> current rules, and the reality that along the edges, not all deployed
> tooling works exactly the same. But your critique also seems to be that we
> are not (as a community) aggressive enough in changing the rules, whatever
> the effects that has in forcing obsolescence?
>
> Meanwhile, making it explicit that whatever the specs say, you can forgive
> a little whitespace munging from your tools ("I don't care about whitespace
> so you are free to munge"), seems to me no worse than a rule that says
> "whoa don't mess with the whitespace in my PIs, since I might want to
> inject code of some nature" (always a great idea).
>
> Cheers,
> Wendell
>
> On Sun, May 8, 2022 at 2:50 PM Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx <
> xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> > Dimitre, how so?
>>
>> Wendell,
>>
>> Do we want the behavior of almost all current XML processing tools to
>> suddenly become "incompliant"?
>>
>> I certainly don't care one way or the other, as I have no code invested
>> in using PI's values, but maybe other people's existing tools/suites would
>> have to be updated in order to become conformant with the new rules, and
>> the user's assets that are relying on these, ...,  and some may never do
so?

>> I personally would prefer that the way the various XML-related
>> specifications are maintained were not so conservative in regards to
>> maintaining backwards compatibility, but this is the reality. Contrast
this
>> with C# or Java/Scala where it is  quite frequent to have some features
>> made obsolete and no longer supported. The lucky 31st century
C#/Java/Scala

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev
Never fight an inanimate object
-------------------------------------
biggest mistake of all
------------------------------------
you're doing is work or play
Typing monkeys will write all Shakespeare's works in 200yrs.Will they write
all patents, too? :)
Sanity is madness put to good use.