Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?
From: "Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 22:33:39 -0000
On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 3:11 PM Liam R. E. Quin liam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <

> On Tue, 2022-08-09 at 20:35 +0000, Dimitre Novatchev
> dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> >     Using this criteria we get  253583  / 250 = 1014.332 pages.
> >
> > 2. Do the same as 1. above but with the XSLT 1.0 specification. How
> > many
> > pages do we get? Just 107 pages.
> >
> > Does this fact tell us something and what?
>
> That the Funtions and Operators specification is larger than the XSLT 1
> specification was, although it would make more sense to compare with
> XPath 1.

Actually, I am sizing and comparing the specifications of  XSLT 3.0 and
XSLT 1.0.

Not the F&O spec.

> This is for three main reasons.
>
> First, the language has been made much more precise.

If only the flow of words make the contents precise, then let's have 10K
pages not just 1K pages.

> Second, the XPath language has grown considerably

As corrected above, this is about the XSLT 3.0 Spec.

> Third, there's a much higher proportion of helpful explanatory text,
> including section introductions, an explanation of regular expression
> syntax, a great many examples, and more.
>
> This is not a bad thing.

Completely agreed about the XPath Spec.

As for the XSLT 3.0 spec, I personally don't believe that the functionality
grew proportionally to the documentation size (10 times) ...

On the contrary, the usability of the document is probably **inversely**
proportional to its size, starting from some specific value, which I
suspect might be around 300 - 400 pages.

If our goal were to repel potential users, disenchant them, then let us
further increase the documentation size, this time probably to 3000 - 5000
pages.

If there is a single person that has read all 1100 pages of the XSLT 3.0
Spec, please, do let us know. If this number is more than 5 - 6, then that
would be really amazing.

Thanks,
Dimitre