Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Where is 'intersect' Operator Defined in XPath 3?
From: "C. M. Sperberg-McQueen cmsmcq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 00:10:43 -0000
"Dimitre Novatchev dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> 1. Have you tried to copy + paste the XSLT 3.0 specification into MS Word and paginate it? If so, how many pages did the result contain?
>
>     I did this and got over 1100 pages (1112 pages to be more accurate). This document contains a total of 253583 words.
>
>     Let us suppose that maybe Word's formatting was wrong. An average printed page is said to contain around 250 words.

For what it's worth, the per-page word count in the copy of Knuth's
Fundamental Algorithms I just took off my shelf is nearer 550 words per
page.  I think 250 might be right for paperback novels.

>     Using this criteria we get  253583  / 250 = 1014.332 pages.
>
> 2. Do the same as 1. above but with the XSLT 1.0 specification. How many pages do we get? Just 107 pages.

> Does this fact tell us something and what?

First, it suggests to me that XSLT 3.0 might have some functionality not
present in 1.0.  (And I think that suggestion turns out to be true.)

But mostly, it tells me that the editor of XSLT 3.0 was consistently
more careful to be explicit about corner cases than the editor of XSLT
1.0.

--
C. M. Sperberg-McQueen
Black Mesa Technologies LLC