Re: [xsl] suggestion for an xml editor, please?

Subject: Re: [xsl] suggestion for an xml editor, please?
From: "Peter Flynn peter@xxxxxxxxxxx" <xsl-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:36:32 -0000
On 17/08/2022 12:51, Trevor Nicholls trevor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I use emacs with an xml mode enabled, but this only assists me with syntax errors (unterminated elements, etc) and not semantic errors (document doesn't conform to its declared schema). Is there an emacs package which can do both?

There is an xml-mode provided by nxml which apears to be more for "data" XML than a "document" authoring mode. AFAIK it requires an RNG grammar, not a DTD or W3C Schema.

The original psgml-mode has its own xml-mode which offers almost all of the editing functions associated with an authoring editor, and it uses DTDs, not RNG or a W3C Schema.

Unfortunately, it turns out that a recent "update" to nxml's xml-mode stomped all over the features which allowed psgml-mode to operate its xml-mode, which was a very unfriendly, if not hostile, act.

I was able to get psgml's original xml-mode to work by installing psgml from the repos, and then loading the (otherwise obsolete) sgml-mode first (eg open an XML document and type M-x sgml-mode RET) and THEN invoke M-x xml-mode RET.

It would be nice if someone could undo whatever is currently blocking psgml from operating. nxml is excellent but it is not useful as an authoring editor.

Peter