Re: Students and copyright

Subject: Re: Students and copyright
From: John Mitchell <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 00:58:17 -0400
The advisor may need a legal advisor. There should be no hard and
fast rule on having to get permission "to use the figures and tables
in the paper".

First, there is no "exclusive right to use." There is an exclusive
right to reproduce a work into copies, but not generally to "use" the
work. If the data from the figures and tables is used, but not
reproduced, no harm, no foul.

Second, are the tables and figures copyrighted? If they merely
organize data in a manner generally achievable through popular
spreadsheet report generators (like MS Excel), it is hard to imagine
an copyright existing.  See Feist.

Third, consider the nature of the use. Assuming that the figures and
tables contain enough non-data original material to be copyrighted,
then you need to examine the purpose for reproducing them. If it is
the only practical way of offering criticism on or comment of the
other author's work, then it may very well be fair use. Fair use may
be clearer, also, if the figure or table is only a minor part of the
author's work, or if the figure or table is repurposed.

My guess is that a student writing a thesis is not likely to over-use
a table or figure, given that doing so might have a negative impact
on the evaluation of the work from an academic standpoint, regardless
what copyright law has to say about it.

Finally, the Supreme Court has been very clear that there is as great
an interest in protecting freedom to make non-infringing uses as
there is to prevent infringing uses. Although the penalties Congress
came up with tend to tilt the balance decidedly toward infringing
upon non-infringing uses, academic institutions, in particular,
should be the champions of keeping copyrights within their bounds,
not expanded through in terrorem effect.

John

John T. Mitchell
http://interactionlaw.com