RE: Journal article question

Subject: RE: Journal article question
From: Kevin L Smith <kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:39:32 -0400
While I think Barbara is right that copying an entire issue of a
periodical would likely not be a fair use, it is not fair use that must be
interpreted here.  ILL is justified, when it is justified, under section
108, which does not mention the proportion of the portion copied to the
whole work except to say that "no more than one article... [from] a
periodical issue" may be copied in order to be sent to another institution
whose patron has made a request.

Section 108 is pretty complicated, but I do not see anything there that
would prevent its provision for ILL from applying in the situation you
describe, as long as the other requirements (copy becomes the property of
the patron, there is no systematic copying (which is usually controlled
using the "rule of five"), etc.) are met.

Kevin L. Smith
Scholarly Communications Officer
Perkins Library, Duke University
PO Box 90193
Durham, NC  27708
919-668-4451
kevin.l.smith@xxxxxxxx
http://library.duke.edu/blogs/scholcomm/

"Barbara Fister" <fister@xxxxxxx>
07/23/2008 10:28 AM

digital-copyright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
RE: Journal article question

My uninformed opinion is that copying a full issue would not be fair
use, even if it's only one article. You could (first sale doctrine)
loan the issue, but copying would be a problem. This journal does sell
individual issues ($75). I don't see it available as a separately
cataloged item in any library, though.

They also don't do permissions through CCC.

Barbara  Fister

> Unfortunately, no it is not PNAS. It is Journal of Gang Research.
> Thanks!

<snip>
  However,