Re: a question on scanning

Subject: Re: a question on scanning
From: Peter Hirtle <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:33:13 +0000
At 08:41 AM 11/6/2009 -0700, Hudock, Sandy L wrote:
>One of my colleagues is trying to find out the copyright status on this title
>in order to be able to scan it for use by a visually disabled student at our
>university:
>
>Title: The story of Teapot Dome.

Sandy:

In Copyright & Cultural Institutions
(http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1495365), I
present a workflow that can be followed when thinking about digitization.

In this case, I would start by asking if the 1924 original is in the
public domain (and is the reason why Burt Franklin reprinted it).  I
find no evidence that the 1924 book was renewed for copyright, so I
believe we can assume that it is public domain.  The title has
already been digitized by California and is in the Hathi Trust
collection (albeit closed), but I would contact them using the
procedures on their help page to see if they could immediately
release this as an open work.

If you really want to digitize the reprint, you next have to ask
whether Burt Franklin added any new copyrighted content when it
published the reprint.  The book does not show up in the Stanford or
Copyright Office databases (though the latter is from 1978), which
suggests to me that the work was never registered for
copyright.  This greatly reduces any potential harm that could accrue
by digitizing it.  I would look and see, however, if it was published
with a copyright notice.  If it was, then I would check and see if
there was any new content since that is the only stuff that could be protected.

Lastly, don't forget Section 121 of the Copyright Act.  Under this
section, it is not an infringement to reproduce "published,
nondramatic literary work if such copies... are reproduced or
distributed in specialized formats exclusively for use by blind or
other persons with disabilities."  "Specialized formats" includes
"braille, audio, or digital text which is exclusively for use by
blind or other persons with disabilities."  This would suggest to me
that you could make a digital copy of the work for the use of the
student so long as it is for that student's exclusive use.

Peter B. Hirtle
US History and General History Bibliographer
Senior Policy Advisory
Cornell University Library
221 Olin Library
Ithaca, NY  14853