RE: a question on scanning

Subject: RE: a question on scanning
From: Peter Hirtle <pbh6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:13:24 +0000
At 03:56 PM 11/9/2009 +0100, Humphrey, Brenadine Ms wrote:
>I think the question with Sec. 121 is the "for an authorized entity"
>stipulation. Although I agree, it seems likely that the original material is
>no longer protected.

That is a great observation on 121 (and why I am glad that I didn't
write about it in the book!).  Authorized entities are:

>a nonprofit organization or a governmental agency that has a primary
>mission to provide specialized services relating to training,
>education, or adaptive reading or information access needs of blind
>or other persons with disabilities .

I wonder, though: do you think that such an organization could task a
school to prepare a digitized work for a visually-impaired student on
its behalf?  In other words, could the university act as an agent for
the organization?

I find it interesting that Hathi will make special text versions of
digitized books available to Michigan students who can't use print
versions.  See
http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/mb?a=page;page=help#RestrictedPermission.
No legal justification for this service is provided as far as I can see.

BTW, this is one more reason to eagerly await the Google Books
Settlement, since special access to digitized books for visually
impaired individuals is part of the settlement agreement.

Peter