Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: Chris Wilkson - MCD <cwilkson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:55:46 -0700 (PDT)
> >> I don't have an EPROM burner, eraser, or a cart.

I'm trying to bring the cost down some more, thus the delays.  Also, trying
to make it developer friendly is somewhat of a challenge without a lot of
expense.  But it's progressing...

> >Before doing such a choice, you should be certain that it is possible
> >have a given number of these carts manufactured at a decent price.

Manufacturing and cost are interrelated...each depends on the other.
Right now the parts cost is down to about $15 each, for a batch of 100 carts.
But it should come down even more as I find new suppliers.  Of course
developer carts will cost more.  But I would be willing to give them out
on a loaner basis.

It's important to remember that board area is the greatest factor in board
cost at this point.  Using smaller ROMs won't really help cost significantly.

I think what's going to happen now is that I'll go ahead and sink the money
into developer boards so people can start writing code with them.  But before
I do this, I'll need definite commitments from programmers...

Erik?  David?  Anyone else?

-Chris