Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine

Subject: Re: R: [stella] New project - RPG engine
From: Glenn Saunders <krishna@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 01:09:47 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Nick S Bensema wrote:
> And hence, the project plan has been to write the kernel first, then the
> story.

This was in response to the urging on rgvc that they go this route.  They
would not have done this on their own.  Yet they are sticking to their
guns on the banked ROM cartridge format.  Sometimes you have to learn the
hard way...

> I'm not saying it will be done either; INV looked like it was just SO CLOSE
> and then, bam... development ground to a halt.  This happens with amateur
> projects.  Amateurs also tend to come up with things professionals never
> thought og.

INV was hardly as ambitious, and the game is almost done.  The concept of
playfield graphics as sprites was shown to be viable.  Apples and oranges.

> So all I can do is wish my best luck to those who are working on this.

I just have a pet peeve about people who are full of a lot of hot air when
it comes to hobby projects, talking about them like they are really
serious about it and hyping it like it's going to be this great thing, but
never following through either because they can't or because they lose
interest.  In this case it could be either or both, but in addition, it
could be because they would not follow our advice and would rather do it
the hard way.

I take my hobbies seriously.  If it's worth doing at all, it's worth
finishing, and it's worth finishing right.

There was a lot of hot air a few years ago about putting the Supercharger
games on a CD.  I got pissed off by the inaction and hence the
Supercharger CD was born.  It took ages, but I had a plan, put the team
together, did it by the book, and it was good.  Talking about it and doing
it are two different things.  I try not to hype something too much unless
I feel it's a viable project.

If this upsets the RPG people, great!

Maybe it will encourage them to show that I was wrong.  I hope I AM wrong.

Everyone loves a challenge, right?