Re: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.5 (Oystron?)

Subject: Re: R: [stella] PCMSG 2.5 (Oystron?)
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 12:52:41 -0700 (MST)
>>Aesthetically I think we should try to avoid simple solid block graphics
>>wherever possible.
>
>ok... but don't touch the early bbblocky games, I love them!

Multicolored double-line graphics seldom look as good as monochrome
single-line graphics....

That being said, I wonder if Combat or Adventure could be modified to be
single-scanline games that take up half the screen?

>>If possible, why not make them random noise like in Yar's Revenge?  If
>>this is too
>>distracting, you could mute the colors so they stay relatively grey.
>
>It's not possible to have a full vertical strip like in Yar's revenge, I
>can use only missile 1 that is available only in one line out of eight.
>I can easily drop the flicker, maybe it's better.

This gives me an idea for an algorithm to use in a later game, for either
lightning or a random electrical-looking thing.  Using the program code
as a sort of fake random number generator would work well enough for this
purpose.  I don't know how much code it would take, but it should at
least be able to fit into most games that have already forfeited
themselves to being double-scanlined.

If you have a single object available through the entire length of the
screen, preferably always the same color, you could plant it in a single
spot at the top of the screen, but as the rest of the screen is rendered,
move the sprite left or right by one pixel every eight or more scanlines.
If my imagination has this right, it should look great as lightning if
applied to only a few frames at a time, or as some kind of electromagnetic
attack from above if used continuously for a while.

>>As for game variations, why not building a matrix for options such as
>>curvy shots, single vs. doubleshots, and whether you can group pearls
>
>sorry, what's "curvy"?

"Curvy" might refer to steerable shots that can be controlled with the
joystick.  This has been around since Combat.  I don't think it would
look good considering your current implementation of missiles.

>As for the single shots, I think that they're always too boring.

Anyone else ALWAYS hold down Reset when powering up for Space Invaders?

>>If you work on this stuff you'll have a title at least as good as any 4K
>>Activision or Imagic title!
>
>You're too good, they would have done a single-scanline resolution game! :)

I doubt something this "open" would be single-scanline even in an
Activision game.