[stella] re: optimizations; Call for suggestions

Subject: [stella] re: optimizations; Call for suggestions
From: jimn8@xxxxxxxxxx (Jim Nitchals)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:57:55 -0700 (PDT)

> Uh, I posted that code because his program was quite redundant... I think
> that in order to get something decent from the 2600 one must be able to
> write better-than-average 6502 assembly, and if Crackers went on making the
> program more complex without simultaneously improving his assembly, he
> would end up by wasting a lot of time. I wanted to help, not to show that I
> can do that better...

That's great!  Your suggestions were all excellent.  I was just trying
to say that jumping in to squeeze a few more bytes isn't something I'll
do unless asked, or the discussion focuses on optimization.  Posting an
improved version of Cracker's code after your cool efforts *would* be
showing off pointlessly.

On-topic question: what would folks suggest as the best text entry system
for a secret message encryption cartridge?  I'm thinking paddles because
the keyboard controllers are harder to find, and don't have enough keys
to cover the alphabet.

Playfield graphics for the text, variable width font to maximize how much
text can be displayed.  4K standard cart should do it, no Supercharger
required.

The program would use straight or triple DES, so it couldn't be exported
or posted to STELLA (but that's part of the point, actually, since
encryption restrictions look silly when a 2600 cart can be banned.)