Re: [stella] Crypto message cart for 2600 (working idea)

Subject: Re: [stella] Crypto message cart for 2600 (working idea)
From: Nick S Bensema <nickb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:47:05 -0700 (MST)
>Forgive me for simplifying.  The program would allow a user to enter a
>password key, plus text to encrypt or decrypt with the given key.  The
>2600 would perform the necessary crypto and display the results, which
>could be transcribed by hand and passed to friends or other international
>arms dealers (just kidding...)
>
>Copy protection isn't the point of the exercise.  Free, unrestricted
>cryptography in 4K of 2600 code is  :)

That would be fun... sorry I was kind of in Saunders mode there.  :)

As for input, perhaps it would pay to be creative with the joystick.  It
can go eight directions, eight?  Well, two joystick movements, "typed"
with the fire button, could yield 8 * 8 == 64 possible "keystrokes".
If you utilize a fire-button press with no movement, you could get 72 or
81 possibilities.

>I'd only sell it to U.S. citizens, but it'll make a hell of a prop during
>upcoming crypto debates in Congress.

Sure.  I'll be taping C-span that day.