Re: [stella] sync problems...

Subject: Re: [stella] sync problems...
From: Eckhard Stolberg <Eckhard_Stolberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 1998 16:05:30 +0100
>Well, it sounds barely possible, though unlikely.   Eckhard, does this
>happen when you use a different 2600 console or power supply?  Does it
>happen on any of Atari's games (there's gotta be some that do stuff during
>the vsync period...) or just our homebrews?  Also,are you trying to put an
>NTSC signal through a PAL TV or vice versa?

I am using:
a PAL TV
a PAL VCS jr.
a German power supply
and a NTSC Supercharger.

I have tried several other VCSs (older models too) and several other
power supplies. The results were all the same.

None of my PAL games shows any problems. Some of my NTSC games
were rolling at first, but adjusting with the Vhold knob (which
is a rare feature on PAL TVs) solved that problem. Since none
of the problem games were smaller than 4kb, I couln't test them
on the SC.

The homebrew games that I had trouble with on the SC (RUN.BIN,
RPG.BIN and DROID2.BIN) could be adjusted with the Vhold knob
too, but then the TV broadcast was rolling. I dissassembled
all three and replaced the sync routine with the save one,
that I posted yesterday, and all games stopped rolling.

Some time ago there was a thread on RGVC about rolling pictures
in VCS games and several people from NTSC countries reported,
that some of their NTSC games were rolling too. So, I might
not be the only one with this problem.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg