[stella] does the processor stop during VSYNC?

Subject: [stella] does the processor stop during VSYNC?
From: Eric Fischer <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 22:21:08 -0500 (CDT)
This is probably a really silly question, but I'm still waiting for
my Supercharger to arrive in the mail so I haven't been able to test
this on a real Atari.

When you do a VSYNC, does the processor wait until it's really time for
the next frame to begin before processing resumes (like a WSYNC), or
does it just send the sync signal to the TV and keep on running
regardless of how many scan lines have passed since the last time?  I'm
hoping it's the former, of course, but I'm guessing it's probably
really the latter.  The emulator I'm using (Stella 0.7) seems to think
any number of scan lines in a frame is fine, but I don't know how much
faith I should put in its emulation.

By the way, what I'm working on is a flying toasters/fishtank
screen-saver sort of thing.  After that's all working (it mostly is; I
just have some annoying intermittent timing problems to work out), I'm
thinking of adding a paddle at the bottom for some weird sort of
Air-Sea Battle/Breakout hybrid, maybe with a second player controlling
the toasters or fish with a joystick.

eric